Piano Lessons: One of the most powerful educational tools
Learning how to play even a simple song on a piano, in short, involves the following:
A symbol recognition, understanding; information synthesis and processing with practical application/execution using the keyboard. This process often described as "demanding timed multitasking" transforms the "cluster of symbols" (musical notation) into a "finished project" (composition, song) via a complex process that involves manual-to-brain and multi-sensory coordination, requiring and developing the timing, sensitivity and fine motor skills; followed by the technical mastery and memorization, and leading to a live presentation (i. e recital or exam performance of the learned song).
Or as summarized in the Journal of Neuroscience: "Learning to play a musical instrument requires complex multimodal skills involving simultaneous perception of several sensory modalities: auditory, visual, somatosensory, as well as the motor system". more
Study of PIANO is considered to be one of the most comprehensive, if not the most comprehensive educational tools and is rather challenging yet incredibly beneficial educational experience that builds more then piano playing skills: piano lessons build skills for life!
A small sample from the large pool of scientific evidence on the value of music education:
At the University of California School of Medicine in San Francisco, the research conducted by Dr. Frank Wilson shows that instrumental practice enhances coordination, concentration and memory and delivers the significant improvement of eyesight and hearing.
His studies have shown that involvement in music connects and develops the motor systems of the brain, refining the entire neurological system in ways that cannot be done by any other activity.
Dr. Wilson goes so far as to say he believes "music instruction is actually necessary for the total development of the brain".
Longer they study, better the benefits:
Piano lessons produce significant non-musical benefits:
- health benefits
"Without MUSIC LIFE would be a mistake."
Clarkson Piano Lessons: For Success in Music and in Life!
Our students are welcomed with our friendly, fun, positive and considerate teaching approach. Yet, let's be frank: Piano study is not the easiest extracurricular activity but is rather complex, comprehensive and interactive process which...
- requires and improves perseverance, self-discipline, concentration, problem-solving, attention, aesthetic perception;
- teaches and develops patience, the laws of particles, learning strategies;
- builds creativity, poise, self-confidence,
self-esteem, coordination and self-efficacy.
Clarkson Piano Studio: Links to articles on the value of piano study:
Clarkson Piano Studio: Science agrees on powers of piano study! The substantial information and scientific evidence on the topics such as the effects of study of piano, effects of music learning and more, is available by visiting web-pages of the US National Library of Medicine , and National Centre for Biotechnology Research
- "Science Just Discovered Something Amazing About..."
- Music for Better Health and Wellbeing
- US National Library of Medicine
- European Journal of Neuroscience
- "Piano For Body, Mind And Soul"
- Forbes: "Sorry, Kids, Piano Lessons Make You Smarter"
- "The Benefits Of Adult Piano Study"
- Effects of music learning and piano practice on cognitive function, mood and quality of life in older adults
- Auditory-somatosensory integration and cortical plasticity in musical training produce scientifically measurable benefits.
- "Science Shows How Piano Players' Brains Are..."
- "The Effects Of Learning Music On Children's Intelligence"
- Summary - articles by Dr. T. Krings, Dr. N. M. Weinberger, Dr. F. Wilson
- Time: "The Brain And The Piano Practice"
- USC: "Face The Music - For Better Results!"
- "Piano Lesson Benefits"
- NG: "Not Just Kids, Adults Benefit Greatly From Piano Study..."
- It may not be popular, but is true: Persistent Effort And Deliberate Practice - Delivers!
- Physicsworld: "The Perfect Song" composed by the neuroscientist;
- Physicsworld: "How Music Works and Why We Can’t Do Without It"
- Music: Heals, Helps & more...
- Alan H D Watson, School of Biosciences, Cardiff University
- Piano: The Ultimate Instrument
- Please check this link, with information also available on The Royal Conservatory of Music's web-site www.rcmusic.ca
Study Piano and Music For Empowering, Inspirational, Life-long Joy!
Are we promoting the professional pianist path as the career choice? Only to those that truly feel that is the right fit for them. At Clarkson Piano we are promoting piano study as a wonderful extracurricular activity that rewards a student with the joy of music making for life!
Anyone that plays piano will tell you: It's fun! It's relaxing!
Playing piano is about sharing, it's about good, quality time; it's about communicating, making friends ...it's about quality of life. Benefits are many: Personal fulfillment, entertainment, social interaction, cognitive improvement, mild mental and physical therapy, meditation - just to name a few. Whether you like upbeat or soft music, complex or simple tunes, performing alone or for other people, playing piano is fulfilling, uplifting, beautiful addition to everyone's life.
Visit us again - more quality content coming soon or contact [email protected]